Arrival and Departure
After being issued with a visa, you can collect your baggage and exit the airport where a representative of Expedition Himalaya will be waiting for you. Look out for someone carrying a sign with either “Expedition Himalaya” or your name written on it.
If you have any problems at immigration, you can call Nabin (+977 98510 04278) or Pasang (+977 98010 25435) of Expedition Himalaya and they will assist in whatever ways they can.
NEPAL TOURIST VISA INFORMATION
You can extend your tourist visa at the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu if you so choose.
- Tourist visas may be extended for a maximum of 150 days in a single visa year. The charge for a visa extension of 15 days or less is USD 30, or an equivalent amount in convertible currency. The fee for a visa extension of more than 15 days is USD 3 per day (January to December)
Only visitors from the SAARC nations are eligible for a free 30-day visa. For multiple visits lasting 15 days, you must pay $30 in US dollars or another convertible currency.
- Multiple admissions within 30 days: $50 in US dollars or another convertible currency
- Multiple entry for 90 days: 125 US dollars or an equivalent amount in convertible currency
We recommend that all clients consult their doctor to discuss the health issues associated with their trek. We also recommend that clients bring their own personal first aid kit to supplement the comprehensive first aid kit carried by the Trek Leader.
Please ensure that you allow at least 1 month to complete a course of vaccinations. Whilst your personal doctor will be the final authority, we recommend the following:
- Immunoglobulin (for Hepatitis A)
All you need is the official Proof of Vaccination, the vaccine should be
administered 14 days prior before making visit. All you need is a PCR-Negative report taken 72 hours prior to boarding. *Not required for children below 5 years
Nepal is listed as a country for which malaria prophylaxis is advised. We will not be visiting any malarial areas on the treks, however you may wish to consult your doctor about the need to take malaria pills. Trekkers who plan to do rafting and jungle excursions are advised to take the necessary medication to protect against malaria.
The unit of currency in Nepal is the rupee. In jan 2023 the exchange rate
- 1 US Dollar = 125-130 rupees
- 1 UK Pound = 150-155 rupees
- 1 Euro = 130-140 rupees
Foreign currency can be exchanged in most hotels, banks and at money changing stalls, and all major currencies are accepted. Credit cards are also accepted in most tourist shops (at a 4% surcharge). The ATM in The Kathmandu Guest House also advances local currency against a credit card. We recommend that all trekkers carry some rupees, in small denominations, with them on the trek to cover their personal expenses. However, the preferred currency in Nepal is the US dollar and this can be used to pay for personal expenses on most of the popular trekking trails. We recommend that you bring this currency in small denominations. In order to help you budget for additional expenses that are not included in the trip price, the following list gives an indication of what is required:
- Visa - as already mentioned US$30 is required for the Nepalese Visa, if gained upon entry.
- Meals in Kathmandu - accommodation at the hotel is on a room only basis. Allow a total of US$50 per day for meals whilst in Kathmandu.
- Sightseeing and transport in Kathmandu - an allowance of a further $60 per day will certainly cover transport costs in and around Kathmandu.
- Personal expenses on the trek -again $35 per day will cover items such as bottled water or alcoholic drinks and chocolate bars etc.
- Gifts - many visitors to Nepal like to take home gifts. Many wonderful mementos can be purchased cheaply and are usually paid for by cash and credit card.
- Tips - this is entirely optional, but most clients will want to tip the local team of porters and other staff. The amount is a purely personal decision but on average is around $12 per trekker per trekking day. Note that there is usually a slighter higher tip given for a successful ascent to the sherpa climbing guides.
- Kathmandu Departure Tax - on flying out of Nepal there is an airport departure tax of R3000
BOOKING POLICY & PROCEDURE
Booking a trip/ holiday with Expedition Himalaya requires some terms and conditions that are to be followed by both parties involved.
- To confirm a trip with Expedition Himalaya, a deposit of USD 300 (USD 1,000 for 8000-meter peak expeditions) is required, and full payment must be made six weeks prior to the trip departure date. If booking within two weeks of departure, full payment must be made within seven days of confirmation. Payment can be made via bank/wire transfer, and bank details will be provided upon confirmation. Credit/debit card payments are subject to a 4% surcharge, and only Visa and Mastercard are accepted by the bank. The remaining payment can be made via bank/wire transfer, cash, or credit/debit card upon arrival in Kathmandu. The booking is confirmed upon receipt of a confirmation invoice or email from Expedition Himalaya.
- If you cancel your booking prior to departure due to any reason, the following scale of charges will apply:
DATE OF CANCELLATION CHARGE INCURRED 2 months before departure loss of deposit (USD 500) – (USD 1000 for 8000m) 30 days to 2 months before departure 20% of the total trip cost 15 to 29 days before departure 50% of the total trip cost Less than 15 days before departure 80% of the total trip cost Less than 10 days before departure 100% of the total trip cost